email@example.com | Washington, D.C. | @amusedbrit
Enthusiastic journalist married to print, in an affair with multimedia, and constantly looking to expand my knowledge and storytelling abilities. Flexible, but enjoys covering climate change, public health and education and always looking for ways to make the news engaging. Published in TheAtlantic.com, Scientific American, ClimateWire, Earth Island Journal and KQED.
Reporting Fellow, ClimateWire — Washington, D.C. Jan 2015- Current
- Report and write original features and short news stories on a daily basis on all manner of climate change-related subjects including coral reefs, sea level rise, renewable energy, EPA’s Clean Power Plan. I have also produced a series on sports and climate change.
Health Intern, KQED State of Health blog — San Francisco, Calif. Jan 2014- May 2014
- Contributed to KQED’s health blog with both features and stories based on interesting health research and studies, assisted with research for the health team and prepared cut and scripts for air.
Graduate Student Instructor, U.C. Berkeley — Berkeley, Calif. August 2013-Present
Front of the book editor, Brink Magazine, U.C. Berkeley
- Facilitated a twice-weekly discussion session, developed lesson plans and activities, hosted office hours and graded papers for 40 upper division students for an "Effects of Mass Media" class.
- Contributing feature writer and front of the book editor for the annual student publication, Brink magazine
News Intern, Kitsap Sun — Bremerton, Wash. June 2013- July 2013
- Worked as a general assignment reporter producing more than 40 print and multimedia stories, many A1.
Education/Youth Reporter, Richmond Confidential — Richmond, Calif. August 2012- December 2012
- Covered various education stories in Contra Costa County for the hyperlocal site including the 2012 school board election and state ballot measures. Expanded multimedia and social media use to engage with our audience.
Managing Editor, Spartan Daily — San Jose, Calif. January 2012-May 2012
Staff Writer, Spartan Daily — San Jose, Calif. August 2011-December 2011
- Worked closely with the editorial staff to lead and manage the paper's 27 staff members, ran daily assignment meetings, managed and assigned news content and edited the A1 content for the paper’s 55 issues.
- Covered the student government beat, breaking news, arts and entertainment, editorial, sports and technology in San Jose and the Bay Area. Reported more than 30 stories and produced four multimedia projects.
Freelance Reporter, Campbell Patch — Campbell, Calif. November 2010-July 2011
- As one of the first reporters with this Patch site, I helped build a readership and increase awareness. Covered breaking news, business and education.
University of California Berkeley, August 2012- May 2014
Master of Journalism with an emphasis in narrative writing, multimedia.
San Jose State University, August-2010-May 2012
Bachelor of Science in Journalism, graduated Cum Laude
Honors and Organizations:
2015 national Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence award winner
2014 Kaiser Permanente Health Policy Journalism Fellow
Awarded an travel grant to report on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia by the U.C. Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
Awarded the 2013 Jean Stephens Scholarship by the Sacramento Press Club
Sigma Alpha Lambda Honors Society
Association of Health Care Journalists
Photography, photo editing, video editing, sound editing, basic HTML, CSS and jQuery, WordPress CMS management and SEO headline writing. Well-versed in Adobe Create Suite, the Microsoft Office collection including Excel, and various social media tools such as Facebook, Twitter, TweetDeck, Pinterest and Tumblr.